Thursday, February 2, 2012

If You Give a Mom a...

We have several of the "If You Give a Pig a Pancake", "If You Give a Moose a Muffin" books that my kids just love.  Recently on Facebook, I saw that someone had put together a "If You Give a Mom a Cup of Coffee..." story very similar in nature.  I am not trying to copy that by any means, but I truly did crack up at the realization of how "distracted" I can become throughout the course of a few minutes within my day.  Without boring you too much, I actually made a mental note of my morning yesterday and thought I'd give you a little glimpse.

I poured myself a cup of coffee.  Took two sips and set it down on the end table. 
My oldest asked me for a band-aid (for an un-cut, un-bleeding finger that hurt so awful badly.)
The band-aids are located in the laundry room.
So is the laundry.  I noticed that I had a load of wet clothes needing to be moved into the dryer. 
I then noticed I had a load of dry clothes that needed to be moved into a basket.
One of my twins came into the laundry room and I smelled poop.
I went to pick him up, he ran away.
I chased him back into the living room, finally catching him and changing his diaper.
When I walked back into the laundry room, I stepped in something wet.
I notice the cat had vomited.
I pulled out the disinfecting spray and the paper towels and started to clean up the mess.
While I was down there, I noticed that there were some dust bunnies/dryer lint that needed to be wiped up, so I took care of this as well.
The other twin came in to ask "What doing?"  I smelled poop.
I went to pick him up, and he ran away.
I chased him back into the living room, stepping on spilled cheerios and feeling them crunch under my feet.
I finally caught him and went to change his diaper.
My oldest son yells, "You told me you were going to get me a band-aid", and I replied, "Just one second honey, your brother really stinks".
When I finished changing the diaper, I went back into the laundry room.
I realized that I had never turned the dryer on, so I do.
I pick up a band-aid, and start to walk back to the living room to give to my oldest son.
I step on a few more cheerios and also see a sippy cup on its side, leaking milk.
I walk into the kitchen, grab a wet cloth for the spilled milk, and grab the hand vacuum and start vacuuming up cheerios. 
I answer four more "What doing?" questions, help to administer the band-aid, sit back down and pick up a very cold cup of coffee.

If I told you this all took place in 9 minutes, would you believe me?

1 comment: